Couples from Ballinasloe sharing hot tips for successful marriages recently in the Shearwater Hotel Ballinasloe with Maureen Cahalan secretary of Community Hearts in Ballinasloe.
(L to R Front row: Vincent & Louise Doherty, Oliver & Evelyn Donnellan,Darren & Siobhain Finnerty, Geraldine Burke & Marie Sinclair. Back Row: Cartiona Condon Marketing Manager, Garrett Mc.Guiness G.M. Shearwater Hotel, Maureen Cahalan Community Hearts who hosted the evening, Kerill Burke & Derek Sinclair.)
As we all know, every marriage is far from perfect. Even Hollywood marriages have their flaws once the cameras are turned off. While a ‘perfect marriage’ is nothing but a myth, the secrets of a
successful marriage were uncovered and shared recently in Ballinasloe’s Shearwater Hotel by couples who discussed the highs & lows on the journeys of their respective marriages. The evening proved to be
incredibly insightful with conversation flowing on the night over delicious food. The purpose of the occasion was to mark Ballinasloe’s Community Hearts Secretary, Maureen Cahalan’s four decades
of involvement with and contribution to the town of Ballinasloe and it’s community.
The couples openly shared their secrets, thoughts and feelings on happiness. The top ten most popular and practical opinions and attitudes were:
1. Being with someone special and creating a loving relationship and being able to
come through the ‘thick & thin’ of challenges.
2. Enjoying and spending quality time with each other is very important.
3. Living in harmony and having the feeling of peace.
4. Finding that someone special and understanding their needs and wants is worth the effort.
5. Being content with silence pays huge dividends.
6. Ignoring bad habits and not always having the last word can be very rewarding.
7. Avoid arguing for the sake of it.
8. Leaving rows in the dust bin before going to bed.
9. Being comfortable being yourself and with each other.
10. It’s all about making the most of marriage by rejoicing in family, each other, sharing happiness and being respectful – having fun times and laughing often.
When the question was posed on how these couples dealt with conflict within their marriages, their answers were varied but largely centered on practical advice. The top ten tips were:
1. Always compromise – Never go to bed and sleep on an argument. Try and see your partner’s point of view and anticipate their needs.
2. Agree with decisions being made. Agree to disagree.
3. Listen and always be willing to forgive and forget.
4. Tell the truth, no matter how difficult it is.
5. Learn to say sorry and always take time to cool down.
6. Get used to keeping quiet on the small stuff!
7. Most of the time put your partner first.
8. Always sleep in the same bed and don’t underestimate the importance of pillow talk.
9. Think first before you speak, instead of saying something that is hurtful.
10. Never try to ‘over-talk’ your partner.
While one couple shared that they never rowed throughout their married life it is thought that a healthy debate every so often spices up the connection which adds to the fun of married life.
Interestingly 50% of participants honeymooned in Ireland with Portugal, Paris and Italy coming in as hot favorites with the remaining half of the participants. In summary, the evening demonstrated that the three top secrets of successful marriages appear to be :
1. Make an effort in everything you do.
2. Always give your partner the benefit of the doubt.
3. Think harmony and happiness is sure to follow…!
For more information on Community Hearts contact Maureen Cahalan on Tel: 087 678 7667